Thursday 14 July 2016

Pride and Prejudice

I have been British for nearly sixty three years.  I didn't really have a choice as my parents were both British and their parents and so on back as far as I have been able to discover, and I was born in Hertfordshire. Am I proud of this?  Not particularly.  I take pride in things I have done well, which is I think reasonable, but pride in my nationality over which I had absolutely no control?  I don't think pride is the right word at all. 

I am quite happy that I am British but I don't know what it is like to be anything else.  There are certain things, quite a lot of things actually, which have been done in my name and in the name of my ancestors of which I would not proud be at all, had I been responsible for any them.  Most of them centre around the Empire On Which The Sun Never Sets, but even so I had no part in them and my shame is really only superficial. 

Similarly with recent events in the Labour Party.  I am not ashamed of the behaviour of certain members.  That is a matter for their own consciences, the shame should not be mine, but I am extremely angry. 

I recently quoted Margaret Hodge who accused the extreme left of trying to manipulate the rules to meet their own purposes.  Last night we were treated to the unedifying spectacle of the centre right doing just that.  Unable to keep Jeremy Corbyn off the ballot they even voted, after several delegates had left the NEC meeting, including Corbyn apparently, to prevent anybody who joined the party less than six months ago from participating in the leadership ballot, unless they paid an extra £25 to become registered supporters. Pay-per-vote democracy.  £3 was pretty much within everybody's reach.  £25 will be a significant amount to many people, though less so to those middle-class, middle-income would-be-supporters in the centre of the party.  Machiavelli would have doffed his cap in admiration.   

It remains to be seen what will become of all this.  Some affiliated organisations have temporarily suspended membership applications as people try to join to avoid the £25 charge.  Is the £25 charge even legal?  It seems that the NEC will always have the last word.  Maybe someone will mount a legal challenge, I don't know.  They will have to be quick, given that the £25 reportedly will have to be paid in 48 hour window starting next Monday. 

For the moment Jeremy Corbyn is still leader of the Labour Party, and he has two opponents in the upcoming contest, Angela Eagle and Owen Smith (who he?).  As I said it remains to be seen what becomes of all this.  

Meanwhile over the road we have a new Prime Minister, Cameron did a bit more of his excruciating standup at PMQs and then said goodbye in Downing Street before being whisked off in a Jag to see the Queen. He took the missis and his kids although they had to follow in a people carrier.  I also noticed there seemed to be a nanny in attendance, although whether this was for the kids or for Cameron I can't be sure.  Maybe she was a highly trained ninja-nanny there for undercover security.

He tendered his resignation and exited stage left pursued by a bear.  

Hot on his heels, Mother Theresa turned up to curtsey and thus become our next Prime Minister. We do do these things so well in this country, don't we?  It's one of the things which makes Britain great.  Much was made about the fact that Cameron travelled in a good old British Jag, while she went in a German BMW, except that Jaguar Landrover is owned by Tata which, if memory serves, is an Indian company.  Is this an omen?  Probably not.

Then it was back to Downing Street, no doubt dodging the boxes and packing cases, to set about deciding who she was going to have in her cabinet  Much had been made of the fact that she would probably appoint women to key roles. 

Did she?

Not exactly.

Amber Rudd replaces her as Home Secretary but as I write all the rest are men.  

Boris Alexander is back, presumably keeping his leadership hopes alive. He is the new Foreign Secretary so we will see how long it is before he insults somebody important causing a diplomatic incident.  At least it's not Nigel Farage.

One other wonderful piece of news.  Gideon has gone.  Not demoted but out on his ear.  He can now spend more time on the back benches with charlie.  As he went he tweeted the following: 

It's been a privilege to be Chancellor these last 6 yrs. Others will judge - I hope I've left the economy in a better state than I found it.

Christ!  Thank god he's gone.

We'll find out more tomorrow no doubt (I am writing this on Wednesday evening as I have a busy day tomorrow, housework and shopping.  No rest for the retired.)

Take care.

Love Tim xx


No comments:

Post a Comment